The JSCSC Library has a large collection of archives, the majority of which were inherited from the Army Staff College, Camberley. A smaller collection was inherited from the Royal Air Force Staff College, Bracknell. The archive collection of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, was dispersed to other Naval establishments prior to the creation of the JSCSC.
The JSCSC archive consists of the following categories of material:
- Records relating to the administration of the Army Staff College dating back to the mid-19th Century
- Course exercise material of the Army Staff College dating back to 1903
- Records relating to the administration of the Royal Air Force Staff College dating back to its formation in 1922
- Records relating to the formation and administration of the Joint Services Command and Staff College (restricted access in accordance with MoD regulations)
- Student nominal rolls of the Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Naval Staff Colleges and of the Joint Services Defence College/National Defence College (restricted access in accordance with MoD regulations)
- Photograph albums of the Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Naval Staff Colleges and of the Joint Services Defence College/National Defence College. These include photographs of course members, sports teams, the Camberley Drag Hunt, college buildings, visits to and by the colleges, and other miscellaneous subjects.
- Private papers donated to the Army Staff College including those of Field Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd and Captain A H Marindin, 42nd Royal Highlanders. Much of this collection relates to the First World War or to training at the Army Staff College
- Battlefield tour reports compiled by students and staff of the Army Staff College dating back to 1923
- British Army doctrine and other official manuals dating back to 1744
- Miscellaneous documents donated to the Army and Royal Air Force Staff Colleges including copies of First and Second World War battle orders, operational reports, War Office and Air Ministry papers, etc
- Original records of the Independent Force, Royal Air Force donated by the family of the 1st Viscount Trenchard
- Copies of published Service lists including: The Navy List (1794-present day), The Army List (1774-present day), and The Air Force List (1918-present day)
A programme of scanning the more important archive documents has been started and will continue as resources permit. These scans will be made available on these webpages.