National School of Government International
NSGI is a cross-cutting civil service unit supported and governed by the Department for International Development (DFID), Ministry of Defence (MOD), Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the Cabinet Office (CO).
Our purpose is to use our expertise and wider resources in civil service reform overseas to support HMG international priorities as set out in the key underpinning strategies:
- Building Stability Overseas Strategy
- New Deal for Engagement in Fragile States
- Defence Engagement Strategy
- FCO led prosperity agenda
We have a small permanent core team of Civil Servants drawn from a range of departments. This team is complemented by staff on fixed term contracts in Resident Technical Adviser roles and by a pool of current and former civil servants available to be deployed as Short Term Experts.
The team has office facilities in the Defence Academy in Shrivenham and at the Royal College of Defence Studies in London.
What does NSGI do
We work to build civil service capacity in HMG priority countries.
Our three principal areas of work are:
- Programmes: needs analysis, design, planning, management, monitoring and evaluation (case study on Kurdistan Regional Government)
- Advice: short-term, expert interventions to on-going programmes managed by others (case study on Ethiopia)
- Gateway Function: brokering access to UK government departments, including devolved administrations, local councils, academia and think tanks (case study on Afghanistan)
The team also fields international interest in the UK Civil Service and wider public service experience. We manage “outreach” interest in the UK Civil Service including delegations/visits by officials from countries of priority to HMG.
Our core approach is to understand the need from a civil service perspective based around the “practitioner to practitioner” model for advice and capacity building. The team brings a pragmatic, practitioner based approach to problem solving and service delivery.
What skills does NSGI have
The NSGI team and wider network has skills and experience across Public Administration improvement and reform, in particular:
- Civil service reform
- HR management and development
- Governance and institutional strengthening
- Institutional appraisal
- Policy-making and co-ordination
- Organisational development
- Public Service delivery improvements
- Security sector policy
International Engagement Group Business Manager
Defence Academy of the UK
Tel. 01793 31 4785; Mil: 96161 4785