Project management is an essential organisational process that helps set clear goals and manage time/cost/performance criteria more efficiently. Professional development in project management builds the competencies required to deliver successful projects.
If you are interested in obtaining the Association for Project Management PMQ qualification then you may be aware that the APM update their Body of Knowledge every few years so that the guidance remains current for the profession. As a result, the exam syllabus changes as well.
The current online training on the DLE remains accredited to Body of Knowledge 6 (BoK6). However, last year the APM updated their guidance to BoK7. The update to the syllabus has been progressing over the last year and we have been actively involved in the process.
Exams aligned to the new BoK7 syllabus will formally launch in May 2020 and as a result we will be publishing a new version of the APMOLT course in May 2020.
Clearly it would be unfair to launch a new online course and exam at the same time as you would not have a chance to study the new material. Therefore, if you intend to study for and sit the APM PMQ exam you need to be aware of the following timescales in relation to online training and exams:
• New BoK7 compliant online APM OLT will launch on the DLE and run alongside the current BoK6 version.
• APM to launch BoK7 exams.
• Defence Academy exams will remain BoK6.
• The last BoK6 exam will run.
• Launch new BoK7 APM Pre-test.
• Remove the current BoK6 APM OLT course from the DLE.
• No Defence Academy APM PMQ exams will run this month.
• First Defence Academy PMQ exams aligned to BoK7.
• Please note that the BoK7 version of the Pre-test launched in July. From September onward only the BoK7 version of the test will be valid when applying for the Exam Preparation course.
For reference, analysis of the new syllabus shows that 60% of the syllabus remains either unchanged or involves minor change only.
If you have passed the PMQ exam under the BoK6 syllabus, you will not be required to update it. The qualification lasts for life.