Army Division delivers the Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Land) (ICSC(L)), a 26-week residential course aimed at newly promoted majors from the Army and Royal Marines. It is an intensive command and leadership course teaching the analytical skills and professional knowledge required of majors and lieutenant colonels (and equivalent). It comes with further opportunities for a Master’s degree from King’s College London (KCL) and qualifications from Cranfield University.
The aim of the course is to train and educate majors for grade 1 and 2 staff appointments, and commands as majors by developing their leadership, analytical and communication skills, productivity, professionalism and mental agility, within the framework of divisional level operations, in order to develop the intellectual edge needed for success on operations and leadership in government.
The programme allows students to participate in research studies, planning exercises, projects and senior leader engagements to enhance understanding, analysis and evaluation of:
- Army command and staff skills
- Command, leadership and management
- British Army staff training in land environment operations
- Brigade and divisional levels of command
- the planning of a formation level operation in a joint and command context
- UK government resilience operations
- Historical case studies from the Normandy campaign
- Evaluation of the global effects of defence on British defence policy
- Management of UK defence and the army operating model
Students will learn the British and US formal decision-making processes whilst understanding the British Army's roles and responsibilities in maintaining security of the UK and overseas interests. Students also have the opportunity to study for a Master’s in leadership and strategic studies from Henley Business School or in military and security studies from KCL and the course is also accredited by a number of other academic institutions.
Students will also have the opportunity to visit:
- Normandy, France, to study the land operations COBRA and GOODWOOD
- The Combined Arms Centre, Fort Leavenworth, USA, to conduct collaborative planning exercises with the equivalent US course
- The Ministry of Defence operations directorate