This short course is a module from the Information Capability Management (ICM) PgCert, PgDip, MSc course. It is delivered by Cranfield University on behalf of the Defence College for Military Capability Integration, Defence Academy.
This course will describe the importance of modelling data and the storage of structured data in traditional relational databases. We will expand upon this by discussing alternative technologies such as streaming analytics and NoSQL technologies. It will provide a toolbox of approaches to the storage and management of data that will help you critically evaluate your requirements and aid with the strategic choice of storage technologies.
Core content includes:
- relational databases
- database security
- streaming analytics
- NoSQL technologies
The modules currently offered in connection with this MSc reflect the needs of our business however they may change or be withdrawn due to research developments, legislation changes or for a variety of other reasons, depending on the year of entry.
Changes may also be designed to improve the student learning experience or to respond to feedback from students, external examiners, accreditation bodies and industrial advisory panels.
Your will learn how to:
differentiate between data, information and knowledge in business contexts
- design suitable data models for efficient storage and retrieval
- compose appropriate queries to translate data into information
- appraise the applicability of non-traditional models for storage within an organisation
Successful completion of this module assessment will count as 10 credits towards an Information Capability Management named award (PgCert, PgDip or MSc). This module is accredited by Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP).
In preparation for your attendance on this course, you will need:
- a first or second class honours degree, or equivalent, in science, engineering or mathematics. Alternatively, a lesser qualification together with appropriate work experience may be acceptable
- to have completed the Foundations of Information Systems module
If you are seeking a MOD funded place, you will need to demonstrate in your application that there is a clear business need to undertake the course.