This course will enhance your understanding of issues surrounding human security, including human trafficking, Children and Armed Conflict (CAAC) as well as Women, Peace and Security (WPS). You will be able to apply your learning to staff and operational work.
You will learn/develop:
- the role and function of a Human Security Adviser
- to outline the dynamics of culture and gender
- to understand gender dynamics in peace and conflict
- how to apply gender mainstreaming
- how to integrate a gender perspective in reporting
- good understanding of UNSCR 1325
- to provide advice on conflict related sexual violence
- to provide advice on child protection and gender dynamics
- to provide advice on protection of civilians
- a good understanding on human trafficking
- to define and identify an overview of UN agencies
- a good understanding of sexual exploitation and abuse
This course will develop your skills and understanding of human security to integrate into your daily work.
On completion of this course, you will be trained as a Human Security Adviser and will be able to be employed as national Human Security Adviser or to deploy on operations in that role.
For course availability and attendance, please contact your single service point of contact, details in the 2019DIN07-033.
For international enquiries please click on the 'Ask about this course' link at the top of the page.
On confirmation of your place on the course you will be sent mandated pre-course reading.
You are also encouraged to undertake optional online learning, completing the following NATO e-Learning courses:
- ADL168 Role of Gender Adviser Course
- ADL169 Improving Operational Effectiveness by Integrating Gender Perspective (IKO Version)
- ADL 166 Children in Armed Conflict
- ADL 171 Gender Focal Point
- ADL 009 Combatting Trafficking in Human Beings
To access the online learning you must register with NATO Joint Advanced Distributed Learning (JADL). This can be accessed from any IT device, but you must use your military email to register.
Access the e-Learning at: https://jadl.act.nato.int/
There will be formative and summative delegate assessment during the course to measure and ensure your competence to conduct the duties of a Human Security Adviser.