This short course is a module from the Information Capability Management (ICM) PgCert, PgDip, MSc course. It is delivered by Cranfield University on behalf of the Defence College for Military Capability Integration, Defence Academy.
It is increasingly important that organisations develop business strategies, which recognise the importance and exploitation of information to support business goals.
This module considers:
- strategic concepts and information systems (IS)
- strategic analysis and associated tools
- strategy development
- information systems alignment
The modules currently offered in connection with this MSc reflect the needs of our business however they may change or be withdrawn due to research developments, legislation changes or for a variety of other reasons, depending on the year of entry.
Changes may also be designed to improve the student learning experience or to respond to feedback from students, external examiners, accreditation bodies and industrial advisory panels.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- formulate IS strategy and plans appropriate to a particular organisation and its environment
- appraise issues relating to the implementation and maintenance of IS strategy
- justify in terms of organisational business benefit strategies for the management of information and applications
- analyse and refine organisational strategy and policy for a selected organisation in order to identify the core competencies to be supported by IS
- align organisational business and IS strategy for a selected organisation such that the IS strategy supported the business objectives
- review strategy for a selected organisation against relevant legislative and professional issues to identify gaps
- justify the selection of methods and tools relevant to the formulation of information strategy and plans
This course will support the development of agile information professionals, supporting your awareness of core information concepts and supporting technologies. It will also equip you with skills relating to the academically rigorous development of credible documents that are supported by appropriate evidence and able to support informed decision making.
Successful completion of this module assessment will count as 10 credits towards an Information Capability Management named award (PgCert, PgDip or MSc). This module is accredited by Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP).
In preparation for your attendance on this course, you will need:
- a first or second class honours degree, or equivalent, in science, engineering or mathematics. Alternatively, a lesser qualification together with appropriate work experience may be acceptable
- to have completed the Foundations of Information Systems module
If you are seeking a MOD funded place, you will need to demonstrate in your application that there is a clear business need to undertake the course.
Assessed group work and individual coursework.