This one day workshop will provide you with practitioner level knowledge of VAT within the MOD environment.
The course is suitable if you are involved in the acquisition process and have a need to understand and correctly apply VAT. This workshop is the chosen solution to upskill the department as a whole (not just for those who work in finance) on the correct application of VAT.
You will be expected to complete pre-course reading so that a basic understanding of VAT knowledge is attained before attending the course.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- explain how VAT works in the private sector in comparison to the MOD
- understand how Contracted-Out Services (COS) VAT recovery works
- understand the main COS VAT headings that the MOD uses
- to determine what VAT codes are to be used for purchases and sales
- understand the importance of correcting VAT code errors
- explain the more complex VAT areas and the concept of collaborative buying
The course will aim to optimise your working level knowledge of VAT in 2 main areas:
- to establish true through life costings at the business case/investment appraisal stage (by identifying whether a particular project could be eligible for zero rated VAT or if a through life project may be subject to “recoverable VAT”)
- ensure the correct VAT coding is applied during the acquisition process to avoid penalties from HMRC
It is advisable that you complete the following pre-reading:
If you work for the MOD, you need to complete online VAT basic awareness and practitioner courses, located on the defence intranet (please note this link is only accessible on DII/MODNET terminals).
If you are a civil servant, you will need to complete the VAT/PAYE e-Learning Awareness course. This is provided by the Government Finance Academy accessed via Civil Service Learning.
If you don’t work for the MOD or Civil Service, you will need to contact our administrators and we will send you the pre-course reading before attendance.