The International Section, along with Cranfield University recently completed delivery of a two week Managing Defence in the Wider Security Context course at the Fouad Shehab Command and Staff College in Beirut, Lebanon.
The course was attended by 24 delegates representing the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) and its Internal Security Force. Amongst the topics covered were:
- understanding policy and strategy development
- regional and national security issues
- the importance of good governance, the rule of law, transparency and accountability
- countering violent extremism and terrorism
- risk, resilience and crisis management
The course was formally opened by the UK Defence Attaché who also organised a very well-received drinks reception where His Excellency Chris Rampling, HM Ambassador to the Republic of Lebanon, was the guest of honour. His Excellency spoke of the UK’s commitment to ensuring the LAF continued to develop its capabilities. Also in attendance was Brigadier General Hassan Jounie, Commandant of the Lebanese Staff College.