Language and cultural awareness training to support operations, intelligence and defence engagement
The Defence Engagement (DE) School provides language and cultural awareness training:
- UK armed forces
- civil servants
- international allies
- industry partners
Courses are designed specifically to ensure that our armed forces have the necessary skills to support operations, intelligence and defence engagement.
Courses and programmes
The DE School offers courses in:
- foreign language instruction for UK’s armed forces
- English language instruction for our allies
- training for defence diplomats assigned to the UK’s embassies, consulates or high commissions overseas
The Defence Centre for Languages and Culture (DCLC) delivers both foreign language and English language training for UK military personnel and international allies.
Courses are taught by native speakers who use structured learning development programmes that combines general language instruction with specific military vocabulary and cultural lessons.
DCLC’s English language training includes wargaming elements to support a task-based approach to language training for international officer cadets prior to Sandhurst. The interactive games simulate real-life military operations, from small scale ground battles to delivering airstrikes and protecting essential units. This offers students the opportunity to further develop their language skills in line with their field of specialist knowledge.
DCLC also prepares international students for the Royal College of Defence Studies and the Advanced Command and Staff Course, part of the Joint Services Command and Staff College at the Defence Academy.
The Defence Attaché and Loan Service Centre (DALSC) trains defence diplomats and loan service personnel deploying overseas.
This highly specialised training requires a broad understanding of government functions across the UK including:
- DALSC courses delivered at Shrivenham and in London
- prosperity training in London and Larkhill with the UK Defence and Security Exports organisation, part of the Department for International Trade
- driver training delivered at the Defence School of Transport based in Leconfield
- intelligence training at the Defence Intelligence Training Group based at Chicksands
- language training at the DCLC
- immersion in International Policy and Security (IPS) in MOD, London