This course is part of the Cyber Foundation Pathway.
Building on the networking knowledge gained in Module 1 - you will develop an understanding of the cyber threats and vulnerabilities that exist, including the associated risks and their implications across all layers of the Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) model.
The course is suitable for anyone who requires the Cyber Foundation Pathway training as part of their current or future role and provides the foundational understanding of network and host-based threats required for the more advanced Cyber Foundation Pathway modules.
The Defence Cyber School (DCS) is offering a blended approach to the delivery of the Cyber Foundation Pathway (CFP) Module 2. This gives you increased flexibility to customise your learning experience. There are three study options available depending on how you wish to learn:
- self-study online learning: course content will be made available online through the Defence Learning Environment (DLE) and is to be used in conjunction with the CFPM2 wiki. You will work through the content solo and at your own pace and schedule. There is no instructor support provided with this study option. If you wish to opt for self-study, you can enrol directly on the DLE.
- instructor led remote classroom (online): building on the course materials available online for self-study, this course includes instructor led remote classroom learning. You can expect daily instructor led demonstrations on concepts and toolsets, instructor teaching sessions, group exercises and quizzes; all with the ability to talk to and ask questions of the instructors throughout each day of the module. This course is run via an Adobe Connect online classroom. You can apply via the ‘Register your interest' button above and selecting dates highlighted as remote delivery.
- classroom based learning: this is a residential option, returning to the more traditional way of face-to-face teaching. All the module content will be instructor taught using DCS classroom facilities; whiteboard, DCS network and PowerPoint. This will be conducted at the Defence Academy. You can apply via the ‘Register your interest’ button above and selecting dates highlighted as classroom delivery.
To progress further through the CFP, you must complete and pass the Module 2 Assessment. Module 2 Assessment: if you have recent experience of the topics covered in the course you may wish to skip straight to the end of module assessment on the DLE.
Please note that the assessment for Module 2 will not be unlocked for access unless you have successfully completed the Module 1 assessment.
You will learn/develop:
- cyber threats and vulnerabilities across the OSI model
- potential mitigations and implications of mitigating vulnerabilities at each layer
- potential security solutions, intrusion detection and intrusion prevention systems, and their application with a network structure
- malware principles, techniques, and how to detect malware through signature, vulnerability, correlation and anomaly detection methods
Each module in the Cyber Foundation Pathway builds sequentially on the learning from preceding modules. Successful completion of this module will enable you to proceed to the next module of the CFP and further build your cyber skills.
Prior to undertaking Module 2 you are required to have SC clearance and:
- passed the Cyber 101 DLE assessment
- passed the Tech Baseline DLE assessment
- completed the Module 0 Part A DLE content
- attended Module 0 Part B at the Defence Academy
- attended an instructor supported CFP Module 1 course or passed the CFP Module 1 assessment
Further clarity of the CFP module pre-requisites can be found on our explanatory page.
Throughout Module 2 there are a series of formative tests as part of the learning. These knowledge checks allow you to check your own understanding of the expected training objectives. This is a final summative assessment hosted on the DLE.
The summative assessment consists of 50 questions, with a time limit of 60 minutes and a pass mark of 70%. If you are following the CFP it is necessary for you to pass this assessment to progress to the next module in the pathway.
You can undertake the final summative assessment without taking part in any of the study options. If you wish to do this please contact us via ‘Register your interest’ including the service number linked to your DLE account.
You may be interested in...
Cyber Foundation Pathway – Module 3
Cyber Foundation Pathway – Module 4
Cyber Foundation Pathway – Module 5