This course is delivered by Cranfield University on behalf of the Defence College for Military Capability Integration, Defence Academy.
This practitioner level course outlines how you can practically implement the mandated MOD acquisition environmental management system; Project Oriented Environmental Management Systems (POEMS), covering:
It addresses environmental management at all stages of the Concept Assessment Development Manufacturing In-Service Disposal (CADMID) cycle focusing on projects at in-service and concept phase.
You will get a detailed insight into the application of the 9 core POEMS procedures, including:
- the collation of stakeholder and standards registers
- screening and scoping the project
- prioritising environmental impacts
- setting objectives and targets
- setting operational controls
- the continuous review process
This course will enable you to:
- develop an in-depth knowledge of POEMS requirements, procedures, structure and implementation process
- apply POEMS to commercial and military off-the-shelf and user requirement documents
- consider influencing and communication skills, restricted materials, available assessment tools and POEMS audit
- identify the need for further environmental assessment in the context of POEMS
- practically apply environmental business processes in order to make pragmatic and informed decisions on implementing environmental management in acquisition
- explain how POEMS fits in the MOD and wider national and international initiatives on environmental management and sustainable development
Completion of POEMS along with Environmental Awareness and Compliance in Defence and Sustainable Development in Defence Acquisition will enable you to meet the MOD’s system environmental functional competencies at practitioner level and qualify for IEMA practitioner membership.
The course also has an embedded Continuous Professional Development (CPD) element, where you implement POEMS back in your workplace with the support of a mentor.
Prior to attendance you will need to complete the following courses:
- Environmental Awareness and Compliance in Defence
- Sustainable Development in Defence Acquisition
Course assessments include:
- theoretical activities throughout the course
- an end of course multiple choice
- a short essay exam
You may be interested in...
Environmental Awareness and Compliance in Defence
Sustainable Development in Defence Acquisition